Close
59 Regent Road, Sea Point
(021) 439 1784 info@vondis.co.za
Diatomaceous earth – who can pronounce it, who knows its benefits?

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH, A NATURAL DEWORMER AND PARASITE CLEANSER AND MUCH MORE

Diatomaceous Earth is the fossilized shells of unicellular microscopic water-dwelling plants known as Diatoms.

These tiny unicellular plants use soluble silica (sand) from their environment to make their cells walls. When these organisms die, the shells pile up on the bottom to form thick beds of sediment.
These beds, called Diatomite or Diatomaceous Earth, are then mined from ancient dried lake bottoms.

One can obtain synthetic or processed Diatomaceous Earth which is often used in paints, filtering systems, chemical insecticides and cosmetics. However, NATURAL DIATOMACEOUS EARTH has not been altered in any chemical way and is derived from a fresh water source and contains less than 1% crystalline silica. Any Diatomaceous Earth that exceeds 1% is referred to as pool grade and best used in pool filtration systems.

Natural Diatomaceous Earth is made up of microscopic shells of diatoms. These fossil shells have tiny points (similar to lemon grass), which puncture the insect’s or parasites exoskeleton and thus kills them. Thus Diatomaceous Earth operates mechanically and NOT chemically. Because of this, parasites and pests cannot become immune or resistant to Diatomaceous Earth.

There are commercial products available to de-worm and rid parasites, but they are all chemically based or poisons and can be a hazard to the health of your companion animal.

Diatomaceous Earth is registered, certified and approved by the Department of Agriculture and approved by almost every international agricultural body including the F.D.A, the E.P.A and the E.U.

Diatomaceous Earth is an effective natural de-wormer and parasite cleanser. Parasites live in an animal’s intestinal tract, causing nutritional problems and physical irritation, effecting the health condition and attitude of the host. You can safely and effectively eradicate them with Diatomaceous Earth.

Diatomaceous Earth, when internally digested is known to kill parasites mechanically by scrapping the gut, literally piercing their structure. Externally applied, it is very effective in killing fleas in the same manner. Both are totally safe and work mechanically rather than chemically. Remember, chemicals and poisons will certainly have an adverse effect on skin conditions and general health.

Diatomaceous Earth has many other health benefits. It also helps to attract and absorb bad bacteria, herbicides, pesticides, food additives, artificial hormones, heavy metals, drug residues, viruses and toxins and helps excrete it from the animal’s body.

Diatomaceous Earth is very effective in helping to support your pet’s immune system and enhance matabolism by scrappping the gut and getteing rid of toxins. Daily exposure to a wide variety of toxins can seriously affect your pet’s health. A highly-processed diet filled with colorants and preservatives, chlorinated water, commercial flea collars, insecticides and pollution are all contributors to a toxic and unhealthy life style.

Diatomaceous Earth also contains an array of trace minerals to feed and nourish your pet. One of the minerals that it contains in abundance is Silica. Silica is a vital trace mineral required by the animal’s body for strong and flexible joints, glowing skin, coat health, stronger hair and bones.
In summary, Diatomaceous Earth helps to maintain all-round systemic functioning and maintain health and vigor in pets. Besides eradicating parasites, worms and pests, it other advantages are:

• Improved Digestion and Nutrient Absorption
• Improved Coat, Hoof and Bone Health
• Enhances growth of animals
• Contains 71 Organic Trace Minerals
• Combats Arthritis and Joint Pains
• Lower Cholesterol levels
• Stimulates metabolism
• Reduces overall animal stress

Feeding Recommendations

Diatomaceous Earth is a fine powder which is very palatable and should be added to your pets food. Daily supplementation is recommended:
Kitten/puppy – ½ t.spoon per day
Cat or Small Dog – 1 t.spoon per day
Medium – Large Dog – 2 t.spoons per day