Close
59 Regent Road, Sea Point
(021) 439 1784 info@vondis.co.za
The no-no’s when feeding your pet

Paul offers advice on Fine Music Radio.

https://iono.fm/e/475721?autoplay=1

There are so many misconceptions and rumours about food or ingredients that are deemed to be toxic or dangerous. Pet owners are confused.

Xylitol is probably the most dangerous ingredient that you have in your kitchen. Many people have turned to Xylitol as an alternative to sugar but be very weary as even in small quantities, Xylitol can be dangerous and life threatening.

Garlic on the other hand has be burdened with the reputation of being dangerous and can cause Heinz Body Anaemia. This is only a rumour and ONLY in massive quantities, abnormal amounts could garlic be toxic. In fact, you would have to feed .5% of the dogs body weight, each day, for a long period of time before garlic MAY become toxic. This means that you would be feeding half a tub of garlic per day.

The normal responsible pet owner would include ¼ – 1 tea-spoon per day. That means, to reach the levels of toxicity, you would have to be feeding about 60 kilos of wet food each day. Your dog would “”explode”” by then.

We all know that chocolate and raisins are no good. Avocado in large quantities is also toxic.

Raw meat also possess potential danger. There is a huge trendy movement towards feeding raw uncooked meat. If this is the case then make sure that the source of the meat is reputable and credible. It is also preferred to obtain a whole piece of meat and grind it yourself, rather than buying minced meat. We, micro-biologists, veterinarians and the culinary industry are weary of raw meat. It is suggested that meat REACH 72 DEGREES to kill off potential pathogens and salmonella’s. That means that you should boil or steam your meat until it turns from red to pink.

Bones are an incredible source of added nutrition. Bones clean teeth. Bones are rich in fiber and other nutrients. Bones entertain your dog. But NEVER feed cooked bones, ONLY raw or slightly seared. Cooked bones denatures the calcium structures which then causes the bone to become brittle, fragile, sharp and dangerous.

Chemical flea poisons, whilst not a food, should also be noted as being extremely harmful and dangerous. It does not matter whether you are applying the flea poisons topically or digestively, these remedies are chemically based and contain poison. The short term and long term adverse reaction to these remedies are document and the anecdotal evidence is overwhelming, that they pose a threat to our pets health and longevity.

So, enjoy your pet but feed responsibly.